<\body> Stories in America: Dark Ages America

Friday, April 28, 2006

Dark Ages America


I went to a rather depressing book reading yesterday by Morris Berman, author of "Dark Ages America: The Final Phase of Empire." In a nutshell, Berman believes America, the Overstretched Empire that no longer values intellectual debate, is on the brink of self- destruction. Our obsession with material goods, radical individualism (I made it, you're on your own) and gated communities with freshly watered lawns in the desert has completely destroyed our sense of community and desire to improve the overall public good.

When asked about the environment, poverty and other problems we're currently facing, Berman said, "Leave it to other countries. They'll figure it out." He's right. Forty percent of the nation's wealth is owned by just one percent of the population, 75 percent of Americans believe the Bible teaches that God helps those who help themselves, 11 percent of young Americans can't find the United States on a map, Republicans and Democrats alike seem to be comfortable with our flawed empire and our social structure is drastically unraveling. Unlike many who still say, "We have the power to make change!," Berman says there's no hope. Hey, at least he's being honest.

4 Comments:

At 4/28/2006 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book to curl up with on a Sunday morning. I can always count on you for uplifting news.
;-)

 
At 4/28/2006 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just live! While you still can!

 
At 4/28/2006 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

!!Rush Limbaugh arrested on prescription drug charges and released on bail, law enforcement officials in Florida, tell AP!!

 
At 6/26/2007 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read Dark Ages America. I would like to, however, the libraries in southern Oregon where I live have closed this year because the taxpayers refuse to pay for them to stay open. If that isn't a red flag for the decline of this country, I don't know what is. I have read several reviews of the book and I think Mr. Berman makes some important points. I believe the country is declining in power and I'm not confident the trend can be reversed. I do think it will take longer than several decades, however. We are a large, rich country, but there's no question in my mind that we are going in the wrong direction and most Americans don't get it. We are fat (literally) and happy and don't worry much about what tomorrow will bring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home