<\body> Stories in America: Raw strawberry shortcake

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Raw strawberry shortcake

After 10 years of being vegan, I've decided to go raw. For the first time in my life, I actually enjoy spending time in the kitchen. Since my job requires me to spend so much time reading the news and conducting research about fairly depressing topics, it's been incredibly therapeutic and relaxing. I've been raw for about two weeks and feel amazing. A few weeks ago, I did a radio show (scroll down to food safety) about food safety and was shocked to learn that most of the ingredients we're eating (even the ingredients in organic food) come from China where there are no regulations. Take a look at your ingredient label. You'll probably see carageenan, ascorbic acid, xanthan gum, and natural flavors. Chances are, those ingredients were made in China. Buy local whenever possible. I'll write more about this later.

Last weekend, I spent the majority of the day making this raw strawberry shortcake for my mom's birthday. I got the recipe from the Cafe Gratitude recipe book. Cafe Gratitude is one of my favorite restaurants in the Bay Area. Check it out. Even my meat eating friends love it.

Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At 7/14/2007 5:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your pie looks awesome!

I wish we had a Cafe Gratitude here in Sarasota, Florida.

Judy
editor/founder
www.RawFoodsNewsMagazine.com
Join my new online community:
http://www.bluestate.me.com

 
At 7/14/2007 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty in pink.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home