<\body> Stories in America: Vietnam Vet Commits Suicide Outside of VA Medical Center

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Vietnam Vet Commits Suicide Outside of VA Medical Center

From the Times-Leader in Pennsylvania:
Friends of John Frasso were coming to terms Tuesday a day after the Vietnam War veteran they called "Gunship" took his own life outside the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Plains Township.

They wondered why Frasso, who enjoyed making children laugh and giving more than he received, shot himself with a .45-caliber handgun. A note apparently written by Frasso, 61, of Nescopeck, explained he was protesting the war in Afghanistan, Luzerne County Coroner Dr. Jack Consalvo said.

"He had the demons of Vietnam," said Nancy Verespy, executive director of Veterans of Vietnam War Inc., in Pittston. "The last time I talked to him, he said he will decide when it's time. And he knew it was his time to go."

Childhood friend Ed Jackson believed Frasso wasn't protesting the war in Afghanistan, but was making a statement about the growing number of young men and women getting injured and medical treatment offered to them at VA hospitals.

"It was a statement what he did in front of the VA," Jackson said. "He always felt the VA was screwing people bad. He hated seeing young servicemen getting killed or coming back injured and getting inadequate treatment."

9 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to John and his family Mike

 
At 3/26/2008 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My uncle left this world signing a note protesting the unfair treatment by the government on our war veterans and not protesting any war.

 
At 3/26/2008 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss...

 
At 4/30/2008 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our heart goes out to John and Chris.
My family misses him a lot on this
day 33 years after the "Fall of Saigon" I always got a call from John on this date (April 30th)since we met in Viet Nam back in 1996. He has been to Oregon a couple of times, and we visited the "Oregon Wall". It would be nice if "Chris" could call us too.
We honor John's life.

Sincerely,
Peter

 
At 7/23/2008 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John "Jackie" Frasso will forever be in my heart. I can hear your booming voice and feel your strong hugs as you would lift me up and spin around with me in your arms every time you saw me. I was a child, our families are very close friends. You watched me grow and as a teen you watched over me to make sure I was safe. You have touched my life and I will always pray for you. May you be at peace and safe in heaven above.
I will miss you Forever,I want all to know what a great man you were.
My deepest sympathy to the Frasso family,
Gena

 
At 3/07/2010 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The VA Medical Center In Phoenix Az,does all it can to harm the lives of Veterans. You wouldn't believe what they did to my family for getting a second opinion. I am afraid to use my name,as they aready have tried ruining my livlyhood.

 
At 7/23/2010 10:50 PM, Anonymous eddie buck said...

GOOD BYE OLD FRIEND U TOOK THE EASY WAY OUT !!I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU ==EDDIE BUCK (THE BUCKSTER) AS JOHN WOULD SAY!!!

 
At 7/23/2010 10:56 PM, Anonymous EDDIE BUCK said...

Peter i knew FRAZZ 50yrs, if you are the Peter that lives in Oregon cotact me buckone009@aol.com===John often talked about==EDDIE BUCK

 
At 10/03/2010 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My old man killed himself via Self-immolation. Silver Star, Bronze Star, 2 purple hearts, and too many medals to put here from Vietnam. Was at Hamburger Hill until the last day. Spent 6 months in a hospital in Japan for head trama.

He put his jump boots on before striking the match. He was really mistreated by the VA and I still blame them for not treating him properly. I was active duty when it happened on leave from the Gulf back in the 1990s. He wrote letter after letter to me describing the way he was going to do it and I forwarded each one to his Dr. I refuse to use the VA system and thinks the whole damn thing should be scrapped and private contractors used. The system is abused and mentally disturbed people like my father and gunship get swept under the cracks. Both should have been treated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home