<\body> Stories in America: Support Stem Cell Research

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Support Stem Cell Research

From DefCon America and Kate Michelman, former president of NARAL:
My daughter, my husband and millions of Americans suffer from debilitating diseases that could be relieved or cured through advancements in embryonic stem cell research. But the religious right is standing in the way of this promising research, denying hope to thousands of families like mine. Watch my story here.

My story is hardly exceptional -- I wish it were. So, today, we'd like to hear from YOU. As I talk to people about the potential of stem cell research, each and every story I hear takes my breath away. As a member of DefCon, I know that you are equally appalled by the religious right's influence over this vital legislation. Please share your story with us today -- click here for instructions on how to contribute your own stem cell video.

We are making progress in our fight to defeat the religious right and pass stem cell research legislation in the U.S. Senate. In late June, following 40,774 emails from DefCon America members, Senator Frist finally agreed to hold a vote. Now it looks like this could happen as early as next week. Since then, 10,967 Americans have contacted their own senators asking them to vote for this vital research. The momentum is building -- but we still have plenty of work to do. Please take action now and ask your senators to support this vital legislation.

We cannot let a small minority cripple the possibility of cures for millions of Americans and their families. It's just plain wrong.

Thank you for everything you've done with DefCon America to fight for this historic legislation. I'm looking forward to the day when the dreams of my husband, daughter, and the millions of Americans suffering from diseases like Parkinson's, Diabetes, and Alzheimer's are realized.

Sincerely,
Kate Michelman
Former President of NARAL Pro-Choice America

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home