<\body> Stories in America: The Rape of a Girl and a Nation

Monday, July 10, 2006

The Rape of a Girl and a Nation

A citizenship identification card issued by the Iraqi government in 1993 shows Abeer Qasim Hamza al-Janabi with a date of birth of August 19, 1991, as translated from the identity card in this handout photo from her relatives in Baghdad July 9, 2006. Five U.S. soldiers were charged in a rape and multiple murder case that has outraged Iraqis, as documents obtained by Reuters on Sunday showed the rape victim was a minor aged just 14, and not over 20 as U.S. officials say. (Reuters)

From RubDMC's Iraq War Grief Daily Witness:

Rape
by Sondra Upham

I wake to a knife
on the back of my neck,
a man's voice low
in my ear. What I am told to do,
I do. Still
the moon lights my room.
The freight of his chest
fixes me to the rough, wood floor.
His breath
brags down my throat
into my lungs, and I pray
for my soul.
I make of my body a bunker:
when he enters,
he does not touch me.
I am clean as rain.

2 Comments:

At 7/10/2006 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is madness. This war is turning young men into monsters. "War is hell." That's what we'll hear from war supporters and the conservative pundits tonight. Our actions are beyond shameful in Iraq.

 
At 7/10/2006 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see that rapes are being prosecuted now in Iraq. There was a time not so long ago that they weren't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home