<\body> Stories in America: An Inconvenient Truth

Saturday, June 03, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth


If you're lucky enough to live in a city that's playing An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore's film about global warming, be sure to see it! I saw it last night and thought he did an excellent job of explaining global warming like I've never heard before. For once, the naysayers funded by Exxon will not be able to Swift Boat this film. I wish there was a way to hijack Fox News for a few hours and show this film. Inevitably, the people who *need* to see this film probably won't.

Don't see it late at night unless you're completely alert. It's not the most entertaining film and because it's full of charts, percentages and complex explanations about the atmosphere, it requires you to pay close attention. In the end, it was refreshing to hear a passionately articulate (former/future) politician who uses factual information and speaks the truth. What a concept.

6 Comments:

At 6/03/2006 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"For once, the naysayers funded by Exxon will not be able to Swift Boat this film."

I don't know if Dr. Robert C. Balling Jr., professor in the climatology program at Arizona State University is on Exxon's payroll, but either way, he does raise some interesting points...

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=052406F

And I'm 99% sure Gregg Easterbrook isn't on Exxon's payroll either....

http://www.slate.com/id/2142319/

 
At 6/04/2006 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you are in Denial.

 
At 6/04/2006 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooo, Dr. Robert Balling and Gregg Easterbrook are on Exxon's payroll? Their are not factual errors or unfounded speculation in Gore's movie?

Hey, I'll listen to any rubuttals you might have...but you'll have to do better than that.

 
At 6/05/2006 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Balling and Easterbrook aside, What do YOU think about the film? Or are you the type to rip on films w/o seeing them?

 
At 6/05/2006 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a poor candidate to sit through feature length power point presentations...regardless of how much I sympathize with the message. My loss, I'm sure. But I often read film reviews to help me decide if I want to invest time and money on a particular film. It sounds like Gore's film has what might be considered gaping plot holes and a heavy "suspension of belief" requirement if what I'm reading is true. You might be willing to forgive these sins in a fictious drama if other aspects of the film make up for the shortcomings, but it gets a hell of a lot more difficult if the film is supposed to be non-fiction, the special effects suck, and the leading man is Al Gore.

That said, my personal take on the global warming issue is that it is real, but there's much we don't (and can't) know at this point and I'm wary of anyone who doesn't admit to uncertainties.

 
At 6/18/2006 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The film points out clearly that global warming is real, and will have radical impacts on the earth as we know it.
Near the end of the film, Gore offers that we can REVERSE the effects of global warming by reducing energy use and driving more fuel-efficient cars. However, I'm not sure I subscribe to that idea.Whether pollution from the burning of fossil fuels is the cause or whether something else is the cause, the main point I get is that at some point, we're gonna be screwed. It's just a matter of which generation gets the screwing- this one or the next one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home