<\body> Stories in America: Pro-Choice South Dakotans Protest Anti-Woman Law

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Pro-Choice South Dakotans Protest Anti-Woman Law

Pro-choice advocates in 30 cities took to the streets today to protest South Dakota's new anti-woman abortion ban, which forces girls to bear the children of rapists.

A number of states are in the process of passing similar bans, with no exceptions for rape and incest. The Tennessee senate today passed a constitutional amendment to ban abortion by a 24 to 9 vote. After Democrats tried to add exceptions for rape and incest, Sen. Raymond Finney, (R-Maryville) said, "Leave that question of abortion for rape, incest and health of the mother for another time." Rape, incest and women's health are trivial matters to misogynists.

Click here to donate to Planned Parenthood Minnesota/North Dakota/South Dakota. There's only one clinic in the entire state of South Dakota.

Demonstrators hold up signs as they protest South Dakota's new anti-abortion law outside the Federal Court building in downtown Sioux Falls, S.D., Thursday, March 9, 2006. South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds signed a law Monday that would prohibit all abortions except those necessary to save a mother's life. (AP Photo/Nati Harnik)


Kate Looby, South Dakota director of Planned Parenthood, right, addresses a rally against South Dakota's new anti-abortion law outside the Federal Court building in downtown Sioux Falls, S.D., Thursday, March 9, 2006. (AP Photo/Nati Harnik)


Demonstrators hold up signs as they protest South Dakota's new anti-abortion law outside the Federal Court building in downtown Sioux Falls, S. D., Thursday, March 9, 2006. (AP Photo/Nati Harnik)

6 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for them. I was beginning to wonder if a pro-choice crowd exists in SD.

 
At 3/09/2006 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first saw the photos... I thought, "There's CodePink!!!" and then I realize it's Planned Parenthood (A place I had to go on, of all times Election day 2004 for basic exam since I didn't have insurance at the time)

there are strong people out there... I spoke to my doctor today and he said that he's seeing more and more people coming in with re-opened wounds.. due to this Red Regime. PTSD from the wars for Veterans and for women and the men and people who love them that this latest round of fights has made them speak out. We're not alone and we're not "behaving" :)

By the way, I love your blog. I'm so glad you directed me to it. I've always enjoyed the diaries... but this has so much.

 
At 3/10/2006 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first saw the photos... I thought -- wow, I had no idea there were that many people in South Dakota.

I don't know if this is right or not, but I heard there is only one Planned Parenthood Clinic in SD....

 
At 3/10/2006 8:57 AM, Blogger storiesinamerica said...

Didn't you read my post, Timmy? Have you donated yet?

 
At 3/10/2006 8:59 AM, Blogger storiesinamerica said...

Yes, there is only one clinic in South Dakota and one in Mississippi.

 
At 3/10/2006 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops...missed that in your post.

As for the South Dakota thing...I could reiterate the reasons that this is a godsend to pro-choicers, but apparently that concept doesn't register with certain people. This will be struck down by lower courts, and that will be the end of it...unless the governors of South Dakota and Mississippi insanely try to appeal the cases up to the Supreme Court.

Wait and let's see if I'm right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home