<\body> Stories in America: Democrats: "We Were Misled"

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Democrats: "We Were Misled"

Here's one of the better quotes I've read about Democrats who claim they were misled about the Iraq war. I've never written about a celebrity on this blog before, but George Clooney is worthy of quoting because both of his latest films, Good Night and Good Luck and Syriana, were excellent. He'll be on Larry King Tonight.

"I was at a party the other night and it was all these hardcore Republicans and these guys are like, 'Why do you hate your country?' I said, 'I love my country.' They said, 'Why, at a time of war, would you criticise it then?' And I said, 'My country right or wrong means women don't vote, black people sit in the back of buses and we're still in Vietnam. My country right or wrong means we don't have the New Deal.' I mean, what, are you crazy? My country, right or wrong? It's not your right, it's your duty. And then I said, 'Where was I wrong, schmuck?' In 2003 I was saying, where are the ties [between Iraq] and al-Qaida? Where are the ties to 9/11? I knew it; where the fuck were these Democrats who said, 'We were misled'? That's the kind of thing that drives me crazy: 'We were misled.' Fuck you, you weren't misled. You were afraid of being called unpatriotic."
-George Clooney

5 Comments:

At 2/16/2006 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any comment from Mr. Clooney on this?

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\\Nation\\archive\\200602\\NAT20060215c.html

 
At 2/16/2006 5:07 PM, Blogger storiesinamerica said...

Yeah, he just told me it's unfortunate that the United States sells weapons to dictators.

THE US and Britain sold Saddam Hussein the technology and materials Iraq needed to develop nuclear, chemical and biological weapons of mass destruction.

Reports by the US Senate's committee on banking, housing and urban affairs -- which oversees American exports policy -- reveal that the US, under the successive administrations of Ronald Reagan and George Bush Sr, sold materials including anthrax, VX nerve gas, West Nile fever germs and botulism to Iraq right up until March 1992, as well as germs similar to tuberculosis and pneumonia. Other bacteria sold included brucella melitensis, which damages major organs, and clostridium perfringens, which causes gas gangrene.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0908-08.htm

 
At 2/16/2006 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’d like to see some more details and sources on that chemical weapons stuff. Not saying it's not true...but I'd like to see the documents.

This “the US armed Saddam” meme seems to get a lot of play around here. Just to add a little perspective…

Imported weapons to Iraq from 1973-2002

Sales % by country

USSR 57%
France 13%
China12%
Czechoslovakia 7%
Poland 4%
Brazil 1%
Egypt 1%
Romania 1%
Denmark 1%
Libya 1%
USA 1%

Source: SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute)

 
At 2/16/2006 6:00 PM, Blogger storiesinamerica said...

Do a Google search and compare sources...it's not a conspiracy theory.

 
At 2/16/2006 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I havn't seen the actual documents.

I'd really like to see at least as much as Dan Rather provided to back up his Bush/National Guard story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home