<\body> Stories in America: Christianity Today Reviews Brokeback Mountain

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christianity Today Reviews Brokeback Mountain

I'm looking forward to seeing this film. When I was in Montana in early October, I interviewed a man about hunting, guns and the environment. About an hour into our conversation, he revealed that he is gay and just came out to his wife and friends. Since coming out, he's met a number of gay ranchers and cowboys who are mostly in the closet. He's thinking about quitting his job as a conservationist to fight for gay rights. It was one of my favorite interviews. I think about him whenever I see a preview for or hear about Brokeback Mountain.

Christianity Today is running a preview about the movie, with this editor's note:
This film depicts a homosexual relationship, and includes a graphic sex scene between the two men. After much discussion, Christianity Today Movies has decided to review the film despite its controversial subject matter. It has been nominated for seven Golden Globe Awards and will certainly be an Oscar contender. The film is a hot topic of conversation around the nation, and we'd be remiss to simply ignore it. Part of our mission statement is "to inform and equip Christian moviegoers to make discerning choices" about what films you'll watch--or won't watch. And this review, just like all of our reviews, certainly accomplishes that. As for the 3-star rating, that is only in reference to the quality of the filmmaking, the acting, the cinematography, etc. It is not a "recommendation" to see the film, nor is it a rating of the "moral acceptability" of the subject matter.
Nor is it a recommendation not to see the film. Overall, it's a positive review. I wonder if the editors have received complaints. The Catholic News Service, after also posting a positive review, was pressured by LifeSite to change its rating from "L" for limited adult audience to "M" for morally offensive

4 Comments:

At 12/18/2005 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. My pen pal thing isn't exactly working out.

I think she wants a little more from me than my snappy banter.

 
At 12/18/2005 4:39 PM, Blogger storiesinamerica said...

You're kidding!? Is she from the US or is she overseas?

 
At 12/18/2005 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

US. I think she's looking for a life-partner.

Looks like I'd best stick to harrasing cute lefties. Yeah, I finally googled up your pic. This is really unfair. Now I feel all obligated to be nice and shit.

Yeah, like THAT will happen.

Hey, those guys over at Christianty Today aren't so bad after all, eh?

 
At 12/20/2005 10:47 AM, Blogger storiesinamerica said...

hey, I never said you were bad! Christians come in many different flavors...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home