<\body> Stories in America: Life on the Road

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Life on the Road

The idea for this trip came to me shortly after the 2004 Presidential election, during which time the media had polarized the country by stereotyping the "blue state voter" and "red state voter;" living in San Francisco, one of the "bluest" areas of the country, I felt these stereotypes did the country a great disservice. That said, I live in a liberal bubble and don't hear many differing opinions or know many people living in the so-called red states. So I decided to take a road-trip get a feel for those places and have conversations with people from all walks of life about why they vote the way they do (or not). I had no idea what to expect and wasn't sure how I would be received being a journalist from San Francisco, but I am pleased to say I have been overwhelmed by the incredible hospitality that I have encountered. From Crystal City, Texas to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, complete strangers have invited me into their homes and shared their personal opinions about issues including civil rights, religion, abortion and the war. After spending three months on the road, it's clear the diverse political climate of this country is disconnected from and ignored by the mainstream media.

In addition to my journalistic goals, this trip has taught me more than you can imagine about living in different parts of the country. Just last night, I found out how not to plan my day in Oklahoma City. I spent most of yesterday in my hotel room doing research and setting up interviews. After finally deciding to grab a bite to eat at 9:30 pm, we quickly found ourselves on a harrowing search for a restaurant with some sort of vegetarian option. We passed an endless array of chain restaurants, but most offer steaks and ribs. After becoming extremely restless, we settled for a Taco Bell copycat restaurant on a strip mall and went to Borders for a change of scenery. It was closed, so we ate in the parking lot. Much to my dismay, my supposed vegetarian taco turned out to be a beef taco.

Because this trip has been so rewarding (and challenging), we have decided to extend it for another few months. After Oklahoma, we're going to Nebraska and Montana. I plan to end by interviewing people in my home state of California. I'm funding this trip by writing articles from the road and eventually plan to write a book about my experience.

Here are a few of my most recent articles:

No Room for Moderate Republicans? - AlterNet
As liberal and conservative groups and pundits debate the future of the Supreme Court, a large but often overlooked group is being left out of the conversation: moderate Republicans.

Not So Red - The Austin Chronicle
A 'blue state' reporter journeys through the multicolored regions of the Lone Star State

The Loneliness of a Lonestar Liberal - AlterNet
Progressive activists in Texas face strong and often hostile opposition. But they say they're going to fight to turn Texas blue again.

Your support is also greatly appreciated. With the exception of gas (average $2/gallon) and housing, most necessities, including hotels and food cost just as much as they do in the Bay Area. A $20 donation will pay for a tank of gas and a $40 donation will pay for a night in a hotel. Let me know if you'd like an alternative to donating through PayPal. If you're unable to donate, please send my URL to your lists and help spread the word.

Thanks for your support,
Rose

1 Comments:

At 7/23/2005 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been fun reading your impressions. I'm in Utah, and was wondering if you have any idea yet when you might be hitting my little piece of Red America?

Sounds like your having fun...keep on truckin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home